Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wigs and hot flashes DO NOT MIX

As I was getting ready for work this morning, I placed the wig upon my head and began to gather supplies needed to torture the young souls I call my students. Before I could even get started, a hot flash hit and made me run outside to the 60 degree bliss. For the unschooled of chemotherapy side-effects, I also get to enjoy the benefits of a "chemo-pause" with many menepause like symptoms. My make-up smeared by sweat, I got to wash my face again, and reapply minimal makeup the second time. I also grabbed a solid black handkerchief to cover my head leaving the lonely wig on its stand for the day.

When I marched into the school building, I flashed between worry about looking "normal"-like I've ever been normal- and not giving a crap what people thought because I was hot and tired. I shouldn't have worried at all because I work with some wonderful people and students. There were a few remarks about being a pirate, gangster, and biker chick, but all in fun. Except for my "Teflon-kid," who like to slip out of class, all my students seemed very happy to see me. It was better than a shot of B-12.

On other news, my appetite has come back in a weird way. When I had steak for dinner, I craved the fatty pieces that I would normally feed the dogs. I also just want to eat the cream cheese and forget the bagel for breakfast.

Okay, as I've been typing, I got another hot flash and opened the door to my back yard. I see a cardinal (my favorite bird) and a rainbow. I love how the cardinal makes such a beautiful splash of red against the green popping up in my lawn of weeds, and the rainbow reminds me of God's promises and love. It just gave me a serene moment in the middle of all this craziness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay baldy, where's the pics?

Love, Shelly

hmm, did I spell baldy correct?? I need to know for future mockings.