Sunday, March 18, 2007

Taking care of myself.

Until recently, I took my health for granted. I've been blessed by good health, and even my Crohn's Disease has been very manageable almost since I found an excellent GI doctor who has been amazed at how well I've done. My immune system fought off germs so well I never worried about sick students or friends. Although I no longer have that luxury, I am glad that I have enough sick days saved up that when I go to work, I GET to go to work.

I'm having to learn the art of taking care of myself. I'm drinking more water, staying at home when I WANT to be outside playing, and making myself eat when food is the last thing on my mind. I even broke down and bought a cool back rest for my bed since now I'm spending so much time there. (www.bedlounge.com) I can't wait until it gets here. It will really help sleeping in an upright position to keep the cough away. By the way, the Claratin-D is helping tremendously. I still cough, but not all the time now. Speaking of rest, I'm heading to bed for another nap. I'm learning that letting myself rest is very important to my health.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God bless you and help you get the needed rest.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Test

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am so thrilled that the Chemo is working. Had a sweet visit with your Dad last week and he seems to be doing much better. When you are ready Stanley has a ticket for Shelly to fly down on Southwest. Amy, I think your blog is just excellent, and will provide great solace and hope for women with cancer. I am very serious when I say that you have a possible book in this blog, so please continue to express all of your innermost feelings when you write. You have a great following on your blog - many have commented to us about it, and is the first thing we look for each day. Glad that you got the wig, but hope you don't need it. Hope you received the book, but was not sure if you feel like reading at this time - let us know.

Love - Geneva

Anonymous said...

So, after we got off the phone yesterday, I opened my Oprah mag. and read this...
"...see how the flesh grows back
across a wound, with a great vehemence, more strong than simple, untested surface before. There's a name for it on horses, when it comes back darker and raised: proud flesh, as all flesh is proud of its wounds, wears them as honors given out after battle, small triumphs pinned to the chest"
--Jane Hirshfield, from "For What Binds Us"

---thought this was fitting. And true. I love literature. Good thing I'm an English teacher huh?

Love, Shelly