Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A week before I'm 35.

Just at the beginning of this year when I realised I'd turn 35 this year, I remember thinking how OLD I thought 35 was. Before the new year I was told I was too young to have breast cancer, but obviously I'm not. Garth Brooks has a song called I'm Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old, and I feel every note of the song to my bones. It may be the shots to boost my red and white blood counts making my bones feel, who knows.

The good news is that my feelings and mood is great. My students make me smile all day. This may sound cheesy, but they give back to me what I've given to them. I have one class that their faces light up after every absence, and it makes it so easy to push past the aches and fatigue and work with these young minds. The money I don't make as a teacher is stored as treasure in my heart, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Okay, enough sentimental sappy stuff...

I've started taking off whatever is on my head as soon as I get in my car after work. It has been because I am HOT, and a naked head cools the body off pretty quick. An added bonus is the looks I get on the way home at the stop lights. If people are staring I smile a HUGE smile and wave like they're my best friend. Some people wave back, but most look very embarrassed and look away. I'm starting to get a feel what my husband has gone through most of his adult life, but don't feel too sorry for him since he mentioned I should go out in public bald so people will stare at him instead of me. (He's 6'10")

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Amy - my boss is 6'8". A gentle giant... my son calls him "overgrown." :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know all that "sentimental crap"...I got asked to the prom again today...times like this I silently repeat to myself, "I love teaching, I love teaching"! Ugh!
I'd still look at Chris.
Love, Shelly