Friday, August 24, 2007

Ten years...

Yesterday was our anniversary...ten years! We're not the biggest anniversary celebrants, heck, last year we forgot our anniversary until three days later when someone asked how long we were married. As our defense, I'll say that we had just moved and started new jobs.

Wednesday night at bedtime we noticed the air conditioner wasn't working properly. We went outside to look at the unit and make sure some switch wasn't moved, and noticed the sound of the condenser unit trying to come on. It wasn't a good sound, especially when you live in Oklahoma in August. I WILL say I'm so happy a cool front came through last weekend and our high temps have only been in the 90's. We opened all the windows and were thankful we have great ceiling fans and were able to be fairly comfortable through the night. Chris called an A/C repair shop and they came after school, only to say we need a new compressor. The good news is that the compressor is covered by warranty since the unit is only a year old. The bad news is that we have to pay for labor...Heck, I chose the wrong profession. The other bad news was that we would have to endure one more night without A/C.

To make the evening more endurable, we decided to go out to eat and watch a movie...a date on our anniversary? Angel happened to be home (her teachers see her more than I do now) and we went to Norman, so we picked up Lexie. We went to eat some of the best hamburgers on the planet and then to see "Live Free or Die Hard." I honestly wasn't excited about seeing it. I loved the first three movies, but I was thinking of "Rocky 6." Ugh. I was wrong. The movie rocked our socks off. Yippie kaye yea! The best thing about a movie theatre is that for little money (it was at the discount movie) we had great air conditioning. We came home after dark, and with open windows and fans endured another night without A/C. Thank goodness it gets fixed today.

I know this sounds weird, but I'm so glad we had this normality to occupy my mind. I feel like a normal person with normal problems.

On the ABnormal part of my life, I had another Herceptin infusion yesterday. When I entered the chemo room I saw someone I've been wondering about and praying for since I met her. She is another Stage IV gal, and we visited about expanders and surgery and survival. She's a fighter just like all the women I've met on this journey...and we spent about an hour comparing notes...she's already had a mastectomy, so had some great advice for me, and we're both facing the loss of ovaries. Did I ever mention the "cure" for breast cancer sucks? Anyway, it was great seeing her, and she is so prescious I hate more than anything she has cancer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to talk to that gal at chemo. I hope you feel better about what is facing you with a little experience shared. Dawn is almost as funny as you. Your style is similar.
Love ya' lots,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Amy,
We know how that going without air conditioner is. Ours was out for a few days a couple of weeks ago. There was no cool front though. We did have ceiling fans and a couple of box fans, they helped some but it was so hot.
We figured out ours was messed up when our electric bill came in and was 250.00 for just one month. Didn't have to change the compressor though, we only had to change the fan on the unit.
I am glad you had somebody to talk to that had already been where you are going to help you out some.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I forgot: Congrats on the ten years. Ours is in August too. It was 17 years for us on Aug 11th. We went out to dinner and watched a movie too. We watched Bourne Ultimatum.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Q: How do you know you're really pathetic?

A: When you call your sister who is having a major operation because you are feeling sorry for yourself.

Good thing I've had lots of pracitice.
Love, ME