Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Doctor's Report

I finally got to see what a CT/PET scan looks like...and I don't know how any doctor can tell anything from those pictures. I tell you what, I look SO much better from the outside, even with the loss of hair.

As expected, the report from the doctor was good. I'm in remission, or No Evidence of Disease. It doesn't mean that every cancer cell is gone, but that there are no tumors that we know of. It is reason to be happy, though, because it means the cancer won't get me this year. He is recommending surgery to remove the sight of the original tumors and my ovaries, which I also expected. At first I hoped to put the surgery off until after Thanksgiving to allow me to be in top(ish) form for the beginning of the school year, but after talking to Chris I decided to have the surgery as soon as possible. I'm waiting for the oncologist's office to call me with the time of the appointment. It may take a while to get a hold of her office, so I'll post the date of the consult visit as soon as I know anything.

I will also start hormonal therapy today when I get my prescription refilled. I will start a drug known as tamoxifen. http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3334 It is for pre-menopausal women, so I'll be on it until my ovaries are removed. After my ovaries are removed, I will take a drug for POST-menopausal women. I HATE taking meds, but I guess I'm stuck.

Honestly, I feel upset right now because I know this isn't close to being over. In my head, I want to be normal again, even though "normal" will never happen. This experience has changed me, and I hope that it has all been for the better. I will say that the number one lesson is that the exterior shell is just that: a shell. It protects me from the elements, and can look pretty, but sometimes will get battered in the protection process. The scars make the shell different and special...I just hope mine is never displayed with some one's vacation memories. (I mean like sea shells)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for all He has done for you!! Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your pathway.
love ya,

jp

Anonymous said...

Thank God! Talked to your mom yesterday and found that Shelly is not coming til Christmas. Hope we can come for the surgery. Let us know. Will see of bremda can come with us. You will not fell like company. I assure you will feel like a Mack truck hit you, but it will be a breeze with what you have just finished much love, G.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
When I was in a high school psych class I had to do a report on "What Is Normal". That was the hardest report I have ever had to do. I had to look at what I thought was normal to me and what other people thought was normal to them. I finally came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as normal because everybody is a unique individual and that's okay because that is just the way God made us and intended for us to be.
Donna