Thursday, July 26, 2007

Chemo makes you....GAIN WEIGHT?!?

Going into chemo, I thought that at least I would lose weight. I mean, that is what the perception I've gotten from movies and television...I've never been close to anybody going through chemotherapy so I didn't know...

Last time I went to my doctor, I weighed in at my all time high. I've never weighed more... then one night when I couldn't sleep, I saw Oprah featuring Dr. Oz (You! books) and heard him mention that he could write a prescription for chemotherapy for weight loss. (This was tongue in cheek referring to dangerous diets, not really offering) Anyway, I was sure I heard it incorrectly, but on a message board that I visit, somebody else noticed this remark. When I speak to women who've gone through the same treatments I've gone through, they have all gained weight, so I just wanted to spread the word that when people are on chemo, weight loss isn't the norm...especially with the amount of steroids that are given to keep us from having serious allergic reactions to the therapies.

Anyway, I don't know if I have any other point, but I AM walking to walk in the 5K this fall for the Komen Foundation. I will then start training for the 60-mile/3-day walk. I want to make sure that the children I know don't ever have to deal with cancer treatment...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gaining weight is definitely better than the alternative. Keep taking your chemo and training. Love, Pat