Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Some days...

Some days things happen at work to make everything worth it. I've been very tired, but going back to work is my return to normalcy that I need to help feel better. I'm so tired by the end of the day I crawl to the sofa and watch TV and nap. This week for my students was a short week due to Fall Break and Parent/Teacher conferences. Yesterday I started wondering how my students did on the End Of Instruction Algebra test that they take as mandated by No Child Left Behind. I was jumping for joy to see that almost all of my students passed, and 75% of the students who made the highest score were mine. It made me know that I'm doing my job right, and my students are awesome.
Today I went to work already tired because I didn't sleep well and had a LONG day ahead of me. I get to school early but was running late for my first period class only to see the HEAD principal waiting by my room. I'm ALMOST always on time to class, but sometimes get caught up visiting with a co-worker or student. I rushed into my room and started to get my students settled down only to have my class interrupted for the most splendid surprise. I am officially KMGL Magic 104.1's Teacher of the Week! One of the morning show DJs was there along with my principal, several teachers and a few drag along students who were curious about what was happening. He read a beautifully written letter that I think I heard only the first three sentences to before my emotions took over and my tongue became too large to enable speech. Along with the words that warmed my ragged heart were some gift certificates that will be fun to use. My picture with my principal will be posted to the station's web page sometime in the near future. I had a goofy smile pasted to my face all day and my cheeks hurt. I can't believe that I've been given this wonderful gift and feel so undeserving compared to so many of the wonderful teachers I have worked with in my career.

Here is the letter: This is the best gift I've ever been given as a teacher...
Jeff,

I am so excited to tell you about Mrs. Amy Watkins!

My daughter attends WestMoore High School, and has admired Mrs. Amy Watkins for being such a strong and enthusiastic woman.

The last semester of last year, Mrs. Watkins was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Mrs. Watkins spent her summer going through treatment, learning how to fight the battle of cancer. Although she was told she would have to endure a mastectomy surgery in the upcoming months, she kept her faith, and felt the encouragement and love from all her students. She knew she could get through this difficult time in her life. She made a promise to her students that she would shave her head for them (actually she had no choice, her hair was falling out due to chemo but she didn't want her students to see it this way) if they all did well on their first test while she was out. In fact, all the students passed! They said they passed for her! And wanted to do this for her!

Mrs. Watkins is now back at WestMoore High School, giving our children the best gift: the gift of knowledge. I am pleased to tell you she is cancer free, however is still having tests ran regularly.

You see Jeff, Mrs. Watkins deserves this more than any other teacher I know. Not only has she struggled with cancer only to overcome it, and make her an even better person, but has also impacted so many young children. Impacted them in amazing way. They have faith when before they knew her they may not have had faith. They know love when before meeting her may not have felt love. They have an amazing teacher in Mrs. Watkins, and after all that she has been through, she is so deserving of the Magical Teacher of the Year Award or any of your astonishing gifts.

Something to show her how proud we are of her and how loved she is. To show her that she's not only given our students, my daughter, the gift of Knowledge, but also the gifts of Passion, Love, Faith, Hope, Drive and Determination, and the encouragement to overcome so many obstacles our children's lives may bring.

Please consider Mrs. Watkins, please consider her passion for life! Please consider her as the Teacher of the Year :)

Thanks Jeff for allowing me to express my thoughts. I've enjoyed writing you this email! I know Mrs. Watkins will enjoy hearing from you and everyone at Magic 104.1.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy. That is so sweet!!! You are very deserving of what they gave you. Enjoy the rest of your school year.
Donna

Anonymous said...

You ARE amazing, darlin'!
Justine

Anonymous said...

We all know how awesome you are but it's way cool that someone would be inspired to write a letter like that. Of course it's all true. Keep up that good work. As you can tell it's appreciated. I hope you all have as much fun hunting as you did fishing.
Love ya',
Pat

Anonymous said...

We all know how awesome you are but it's way cool that someone would be inspired to write a letter like that. Of course it's all true. Keep up that good work. As you can tell it's appreciated. I hope you all have as much fun hunting as you did fishing.
Love ya',
Pat

Anonymous said...

You deserve it, you are a good teacher, person, and friend. I enjoy working with you!!!!!!!!

Janet

Becky said...

Chest Bumps!! It's nice to find out that once in a while someone recognizes that, yes, teachers do make a difference!!! WTG. Becky

Mammy said...

Congratulations. Sometimes there are lots of things better than medicine that can make you feel better. Proud for you. Brenda

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What a wonderful tribute. To allow others see the beauty in what you have endured is an amazing thing. I am sure every child whose llife you touch will come away with a better understanding of what young women muct do to stay healthy. To teach life is as important was math or-. Very proud of my niece. Love G.

Ruth said...

Oh Amy. What a wonderful gift and surprise for you. And well-deserved, I'm sure. Here I am crying at work, reading that letter....