Wednesday, October 10, 2007

BRAC Testing Results

I decided to have the BRAC testing to determine if I carry the genetic mutation that is a known factor in breast cancer. Because my treatment is different because of my Stage IV cancer I didn't need it earlier to determine on the choice to have a single or double mastectomy. Many women who are BRAC positive have decided to have a double mastectomy as a measure to prevent recurrence.

When I had time to read about the BRAC mutation, I read that not only is the chance of breast cancer higher but also ovarian cancer. Ovarian cancer is a very deadly disease because the symptoms are similar to cramps and gas. No routine testing is done for ovarian cancer at this time, so I wanted to find if they had a higher chance of breast or ovarian cancer.

The good news is that I am negative for the BRAC mutation. I know it sounds weird...I am glad that my sisters don't have to worry about having the mutation (they still need to have routine testing done) but I DO wish I could blame the cancer on SOMETHING.

I'm still doing well from the surgery. I still have drainage tubes coming out of my side to prevent fluid accumulating in the boob spot. I planned on going back to work tomorrow, but I'm afraid with tubes coming out work would be a bad idea. The risk for infection is higher, and my classroom is tiny. If I bumped into a kid it would hurt like crazy. I could see myself spewing fowl language at work...not good. I hate missing work, but I've learned that I have to take care of myself or I'm worthless to my kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I got to talk to you today. You are using good judgement! I'm proud of you. I hope your girls and doing OK.
Love ya',
Pat

Glenda said...

We miss you at work. But, I understand why you're not coming back yet. Won't you be so happy when there is no more surgeries! And, you've got a brand new foob!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!!!!!! So glad to read this post. Do the Happy Dance! I wasn't so lucky in the BRCA department. I tested positive for BRCA1 and so did my little sister. She's 30 and just had her prophylactic bi-lat last Friday. Hope you get rid of the drain soon and enjoy your new squishy foob!
Marlena (from the YSC board)