Friday, September 14, 2007

The Amazing Foob

I am one of the lucky ones who were able to start reconstruction immediately after the mastectomy. Well, I SAY lucky, but the main reason I'm not going through radiation is because there are too many places to radiate. Right now I'm in the first stage of reconstruction. During the mastectomy, an expander was put into a pocket made under one of my pectoral muscles. The expander had 200cc of saline in when I woke up from surgery. I've had 3 fills of 50cc each so far, and it looks like I'm a flexing Mr. Universe contestant. I will keep going in twice a week for fills until it is the size needed to be equal to the other side. After that, I will schedule an exchange surgery to get a more comfortable, softer, and yes, perkier new boob. I think during or after the exchange surgery, I will be eligible to make sure both breasts match, and have a nipple installed and tattooed if I choose.

There are times, especially when I try to sleep, I hate the darn thing. It is not only stretching the skin but the muscle and other soft tissue. The muscle hasn't been very happy with this, and has fought back with muscle spasms and intense soreness.

Other than dealing with the foob (a word I stole but wish I made up), I've been healing and doing better and better. I wish I was good enough to go to work, but my stamina is still pretty low. I've spent time sitting outside in the cooler weather (80's to low 90's), and watching StarTrek re-runs. (yep, I'm a geek) Life is great, and I totally feel blessed to have that nasty cancer out of my body. I know I will always have to be checked and be treated for it, but I know my long term chances for survival have increased and will follow whatever plan God has for me. I will also begin to fight all kinds of cancers because nobody should have to go through what I or any of the wonderful, strong, beautiful people I've met through this have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a fighter and much admired by me. Pat pat

Glenda said...

I'm with you on the fight. I've decided to dive in full force in the fight against breast cancer. I'm even going to see if I can attempt the Susan G. Komen race for the cure.

Anonymous said...

Your aged aunt is spnsoring a runner in the Race for the Cure in your name. She is too old and cript to do so on her own. Glad to hear you are better and better. Ruth has been much on my mind lately as she is not as active on your blog. Is she O.K.?
Hope to see you soon. Let us know if wwe can do anything. Love G.