Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Do's And Don'ts of Radiation Treatment

My mind goes in weird circles when I'm trying to sleep at night, and I just thought I would put into writing what worked and didn't work for me:

Don't
  • Don't buy expensive radiation creams and salves...they don't work any better than what you can get at your home pharmacy. My favorites are Udderly Smooth, Neosporin with Lidocaine, A & D Ointment, and Aloe Vera with no alcohol and no coloring.
  • Don't scrub the area that is being treated. Treat the skin as if it was paper.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help...you will get tired.
  • Don't go out in the sun without full sunscreen, even on the areas that aren't being treated.
  • Don't be stupid like me and put deodorant on!
  • Don't use anything scented...it will irritate your skin.

Do

  • Take naps when you can.
  • Drink LOTS of water.
  • Apply one of the above named creams at least four times a day.
  • Ask questions when you are with the doctor and getting treated. I asked questions about everything from what the walls were made of to why the machine sounded like the old dial-up modems.
  • Whatever it takes to feel comfortable. I also asked if they could play music when I was in the room alone.

I will try to come back and add to this as I think of things. I just wanted to get this out there...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

How many treatments are left? Not very many right? Woo Hoo!