Thursday, September 10, 2009

Radiation: The gift that keeps on giving...

I wanted to believe that once I finished radiation that I would start healing and there would be no more side effects. Unfortunately, the skin is in different phases of reproduction and I have two more weeks of mutant skin before it will truly start to heal. I have several small blisters and about five blisters the size of a dime. For skin that I thought was numb it hurts like crap! I am even going out without my prosthetic breast because I can't tolerate the pain. I hope I don't offend anybody with my lop-sidedness.

I went to see my regular oncologist, Dr. K. today. I know it is weird, but he is a great doctor and makes his office a very comfortable place. I can visit with him and have confidence in my treatment plan and I feel I'm part of the decision making process.

Here's the plan: I will have a PET scan in about a month followed by an appointment with Dr. K. If there is no cancer progression in the rest of my body, I will keep taking the anti-hormonal and will hope it keeps the cancer from spreading. If there is cancer, we will open the door to the chemotherapy arsenal once again and I will start treatment. He doesn't want to start treatment yet because my skin needs time to heal before any more poison is added to my body that will hinder healing.

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

You hang in there, Amy! The pain - I can't imagine. Just a small burn is so painful. Give our love to Chris. Hated to read that about his eye. What a bummer. Never forget you are in our daily prayers. Love you both.
Raymond and Kimmie